Trying to complete Edith's "flame" rug has been quite depressing as I learned that I'd done it ALL WRONG. Apparently I should have left all the ENDS AT THE FRONT OF THE RUG and not at the back. If you have ends hanging out at the back, they make lumps and after being walked on for a bit your rug will acquire holes, I was told.
So I had to turn all the ends to the front, which was boring and difficult. The only thing spurring me on was the knowledge that I would NOT have to do this again, as I intend not to make the same mistake twice.
Anyway at last I finished that part of the task, and set to the task of actually backing the rug.
I started by applying iron-on interlining (another hint from one of the Hooked in London ladies) to the back, cutting it to fit the rugged area.
Then I realised that I had rugged so close to the edge of my canvas that I hadn't left much turn-in fabric, one corner being particularly bad. So far I've turned the turn-in allowance all round and pinned then tacked it down (see picture)
Next I'm going to cut a piece of canvas a tiny bit smaller than the rug, and GLUE it to the back with my smart spray-on fabric glue.
Then I will sew tough binding all round the edge, up to the edge of the rug on the back.